Programs and services especially for children.
- Story Time is every Wednesday at 10:30am in our children's area.
- Share the fun of reading with your children ages 5 and under (all ages are welcome)! Children and their grownups will explore stories and activities to encourage children to develop a lifelong love of reading and learning. These 30-to-40-minute programs are designed to promote language and listening skills, expand children’s imaginations and arouse their curiosity about the world around them.
- We do not offer Story Time during the summer months due to our Summer Library Program.
Books for Newborns
- The library donates books to the local hospital.
- These books are then presented to newborns and their parents to emphasize the importance of reading in early childhood development.
Babies & Books
- This program is offered every other Saturday morning at 10:00am.
- Bring your little one and join us for Babies & Books. A story time experience for our youngest library users and their caregivers. These 20-to-30-minute story times introduce books, songs, rhymes, tickles and bounces developmentally appropriate for children from birth to 24 months. Baby bouncy time is a wonderful way to introduce your child to the joys of reading in a positive and fun atmosphere. This story time is designed so the baby will be in the caregiver’s lap and the pair is actively involved in the program; it is recommended that each child have their own caregiver with him/her.
Summer Library Program
- This program goes from the end of May through the end of July.
- Each year there is a different theme provided by the State Library of Iowa.
- The Program provides reading incentives, games, crafts, & featured performers.
- Children can participate in all aspects of this program or only the ones that interest them the most.
- Children of all ages are welcome to attend.
1000 Books Before Kindergarten
- Program to encourage parents to read to their children when they are young.
- Parents read 500 books to their children before the child enters Kindergarten.
- The child receives recognition through small prizes and through our wall of honor.
- Once the child completes the program, he/she goes through a graduation ceremony.
- Kids use Legos to build a new challenge each month.
- This is scheduled one Thursday night at 6:30pm each month.
- Kids of all ages are welcome to attend and parents are encouraged to attend as well.
- Snacks are provided.
Family Fun Night
- Families are invited to attend. All ages welcome.
- This is scheduled for one Thursday night at 6:30pm each month.
- Each month, there is a different activity for kids and parents to enjoy.
- Snacks are provided.
- Join us monthly for our free movie showing.
- Movies are shown on the big screen with surround sound.
- Popcorn is provided.
- Through a partnership with Shelby County ISU Extension, we are able to offer an annual Science Fair.
- The program is for area children in grades 3rd-5th.
- Projects are completed at home. Staff and mentors are available, on scheduled days and times, to help the kids with developing their ideas and ready themselves to present at the Fair.
- Sign up generally takes place in January with the Science Fair in March.
- Kids are recognized for the efforts at a final judging and awards ceremony.
- Several times throughout the year, we will offer programs on Saturdays or at additional times throughout the month.
- Examples of some of the programs we offer are art programs, Love Your Library Programs, Stuffed Animal Sleepovers & etc.